I can’t say this was an easy task. There were a lot of steps to completing the rudder and making sure that the quality was top notch.

To continue from where I left off…the trailing edge had cured for 5 days. I removed the clecos and the angle aluminum (which was kinda glued in place). I riveted the trailing edge using an alternating and back riveting procedure. It was easier than I thought it would be, but still took some finesse to get nice looking rivets. Once done I used a piece of string stretched along the trailing edge…razor straight. I was very happy with this


Now came the leading edges. I bought a 1 1/4″ PVC pipe but later found that was the inside diameter and was too big. So I actually cut the handle off a shovel that was perfectly 1 1/4″ match drilled it and clecoed in place. This was to bend the leading edge. What a pain the the ass. I spent a solid 3 hours just molding and bending them into shape. The goal is to not have excessive stress at the rivet points. It sucked…but with a little elbow grease I was able to form gorgeous leading edges. Match drilled and then riveted in place.


The final step of the rudder including the counterbalance weight which was a lot of off-on-off-match drill-on-off-dimple-screw and finish.  All in all I am very happy with the rudder. On to the horizontal progress.

No guests in the guest bedroom. It’s storage for AIRPLANE PARTS.

“Don’t tell my wife…PLEASE!!”

Advertisements